BLOG KEY
Important Dates
9/7 - Labor Day - No school
9/14- Parent Training (Singapore, IEW)
3rd Grade Happenings
*The class earned a POPCORN PARTY!!! We'll celebrate on Wednesday.
*Happy Birthday to Myka (9/8)
Math-
FP- I passed out the packet for Week 5, so that you’ll have the FP for 9/8. On Mondays, we will do a quick review of what we have learned so far this year, instead of timed math facts. We will continue to do math facts Tuesdays thru Fridays. Each FP packet is worth 5 pts.WB- I will look through these and record a score towards a homework grade. I will not check for completion. Rather, I will be looking for understanding. If you decide that your student has mastered the assigned material, and assessments confirm this, feel free to scale this work at home to address your child’s specific needs.
Test 2B- I will send this home on Wed to prepare for Test 2A scheduled for 9/14.
IEW-
In class, I walked students through how to format papers (name/date, double-space, how to add/label vocab word, where to keep rough drafts in the Campus Binder…) I also modeled how to compose a paper from the assigned source texts (Roman Colosseum). We have not learned how to create/add titles. But feel free to add one to get them used to this placement. I let students know that they are welcome to use the rough draft we created together, OR they can create their own!
IEW purposely teaches students to organize thoughts and write papers through a succinct process using carefully crafted source texts that are written AT OR BELOW the student’s reading level. This makes teaching the writing process easy and enjoyable for the student!
If you are seeking to give your child additional writing practice, please let me know. You can provide other source texts that are at or below your student’s reading level to create additional KWOs and papers AT HOME. I can recommend a few. My oldest child LOVED to read and write. So I could choose source texts that catered to her specific reading level/interests. This way, she could learn more and write papers about her curiosities, in addition to what she was being assigned in our IEW homeschool co op class- just one of the reasons why I love IEW! My goal is to assist you in scaling work, if desired, to meet your child's individual needs and interests, while making our class time as engaging and as beneficial as possible. Please do not work ahead of the scheduled in-class assignments. I will grade the assigned work outlined on the Blog. If you have questions about the IEW writing process, assignment timing, or progression, please reach out.
Reading- I graded journals and returned them on Wed. We added answers for Ch 3 questions in class. We've also been discussing what being content means and how we do that.
Grammar- Ch 2 test will be graded and returned on Wed. Please make sure that you are using the script provided in the curriculum during your teaching time.These scripts can be found in the GRAMMAR TIME section of the lesson. I use these verbatim in class. We also color-code Parts of Speech in class. Students should be able to define, identify, and name the Parts of Speech that have been presented thus far (noun, verb, article adjective, adjective, adverb.) Being VERY familiar with these question confirmations will definitely help w Latin sentence parsing!
Spelling- I'm noticing that a few students are not completing the "Spell Word Card" dictations. Please use the spaces provided in the Campus Binder (above the lines for Sentence Dictation) to record these words for each lesson. Students can then easily refer to the words they'll be focusing on during that lesson and during Sentence Dictation.
We completed the assigned dictation in class before we began the test on Wed. I did not include those sentences on the test, as I want to give students an opportunity to review any test material at home prior to test day.
History- Story of the World Extensions
History- Story of the World Extensions
Geography- Continents and Oceans will be tested on Wed.
Below is a breakdown of how grades will be calculated-