BLOG KEY
Important Dates
10/14 Parent Training (Singapore, IEW)
10/23 DOGS, Pizza, Spirit Day
Third Grade Happenings
*We had LOTS of fun on Wednesday! While we munched on popcorn, Samantha’s grandmother, Mrs. Allen, was kind enough to show us her flute and expand on information that we learned through our IEW source text. What a treat! Ask your student what (s)he learned!
*We’re working towards earning a NO SHOES DAY! I’m so proud of how the children have adjusted to the classroom behavior and procedural expectations! And I’ve upped the ante by expecting more Classroom Critters to be accumulated (ask your student to explain, if you’re unfamiliar.) And I know that they’ll be able to meet this new goal soon. I really do have the sweetest class!! Thank you, parents, for purposing to raise such thoughtful and kind children. The students are doing their best to be diligent learners and to obey all the way, right away, with content hearts.
*I have begun noting late arrivals on attendance records. Your student should be completely unpacked, have placed math facts on desk, emptied communication pockets of Campus Binder, and seated on the carpet by 9:05. I begin teaching promptly at 9:05. To set your student up for success and to aid me in beginning instruction on time, please make sure that your student is seated in the Chapel by 8:50. I notice that students who arrive even a few minutes late to class feel anxious and rushed. If, on the rare occasion, you can’t get your child to school by 8:50, please text me.
*Prayer Cards are to be returned on Mondays. The students so look forward to receiving these! What a privilege it is to pray for our classmates!
BIBLE- Please check with your child to see if he would like to memorize the bible verses we’re reciting in class. Some students have attempted recitation but need a little extra practice at home. Again, this is completely optional. But I want the students who desire to reach this goal to have all the support they need to be successful. We’re working on Phil 4:8 and 4:11. 4:11 may be more manageable for some.
MATH- Test 2B was sent home on Wednesday. I do not need this returned. This is your resource to use to prepare for the 2A Test that will be given on Monday 9/14.
Please make sure that your student is creating Bar Models. I am looking to see if students are using these visual representations correctly to match the word problems. I know this will take some time and practice for the students to become comfortable with the bar models. I will require that students draw a bar model on all word problems. If one is not drawn and labeled, full credit will not be awarded. If the bar model drawn is incorrect, I will draw the correct one for them to see but I will not take off any points. The more they practice the better they will get.
IEW- The final drafts were great!! I hope you celebrated your student’s hard work and attention to detail!! Checklists should be completed by your student. The next FD due date, I will have a stapler near the turn-in basket, if they need it. Checklist w student’s name should be attached in front of FD and RD.
I talked to the class about wearing “the appropriate amount of accessories”. We don’t need to wear more than one hat, scarf, jacket, lots of make-up…to set the expectation that students should only include one of each noted style technique to each paragraph. We don’t want to make our papers gaudy 🙂
GRAMMAR- I’ll do my best to grade/return the Grammar Review that will be completed in class on Monday, so that you can further prepare for the Ch 3 Test that will be administered on Wednesday.
READING- Reading Journals will be due 9/21. We will begin reading Soft Rain on 9/22.
HISTORY- Story of the World Extensions
SCIENCE- The students seem excited about beginning construction of the Science Boxes! Let me know if you have any questions about this project/presentation. I'll post further details as the yr progresses.